Washington Adventist Hospital is a 252-bed acute-care facility located in Takoma Park, Maryland. Opened in 1907, the hospital is Montgomery County’s first cardiac center, performing hundreds of open-heart surgeries and thousands of heart catheterizations each year.
100 Years of Caring for the Community...and Counting!
In 2007, Washington Adventist Hospital celebrated 100 years of providing care to the communities it serves. As the hospital did a hundred years ago, it continues to strive to remain ahead. For this reason, the hospital is in the process of building a new hospital for the next century. The vision of 21st century facilities is becoming a reality on a 48-acre parcel of land near White Oak, about six miles from our current location — in the heart of the hospital’s primary service area. The new hospital, along with services retained in Takoma Park, will strengthen health care in our region and expand access to health care for the communities it serves in Montgomery and Prince George’s counties and our surrounding areas.
Leading Edge, State-of-the-Art Procedures
Washington Adventist Hospital has provided the Washington D.C. region with the most advanced, least invasive cardiac and vascular procedures with skill, compassion and experience for more than 50 years. The hospital was the first in the D.C. area to perform open heart surgery, numerous cardiac procedures, including mitral valvuloplasty, and the first in the mid-Atlantic to perform a revolutionary type of surgery called Mini-Maze that can correct atrial fibrillation (AF), a common form of heart rhythm abnormality and a major cause of stroke.
Hospital-based Radiation Oncology
Washington Adventist Hospital’s radiation oncology program is the first hospital-based facility in all of Montgomery and Prince Georges Counties, and the first facility in the Washington Metropolitan area to be accredited by the American College of Radiation Oncology (ACRO).
Whole Person Health
Washington Adventist Hospital is part of Adventist HealthCare, an integrated health care delivery system that includes hospitals, home health agencies, nursing and rehabilitation centers, and other healthcare services. This full spectrum of services covers a wide range of health care needs, providing the best care for you and your family – mind, body, and spirit.
Accreditations & Designations
- Fully accredited by the Joint Commission and licensed by the State of Maryland
- Accredited Chest Pain Center, Level IV with PCI,The Society of Cardiovascular Patient Care (SCPC)
- Designated Cardiac Interventional Center, Maryland Institute for Emergency Services and Systems (MIEMSS)
- Accredited Cancer Program with Commendation, The Commission on Cancer (CoC) of the American College of Surgeons (ACoS)
- Accredited Radiation Oncology Program, American College of Radiation Oncology (ACRO)
- Designated Primary Stroke Center, Maryland Institute for Emergency Medical Services Systems
- Stroke Gold Plus Quality Achievement Award from the American Heart Association (AHA)